YOU ARE WELCOMED,
YOU ARE LOVED,
YOU ARE ACCEPTED.
This touching birth story is incredible. As a mother (lucky enough to have had the same nurse midwife assist for both my births in 1990 and 1991), a fervent La Leche League supporter, a certified doula, and a midwife wanna-be, I urge you to read this. If you’ve had children or you want children in the future, this is worth reading. Even if you don’t want children, you were born, right? Read it anyway, but be sure to grab a tissue first.
We Had A Baby! (And Here Is Our Unusual Story) by James Colquhoun, filmmaker FOOD MATTERS & HUNGRY FOR CHANGE.
After reading this you might think they were crazy and taking unnecessary risks. You ask yourself: Where were the machines? Where was the Pitocin? I wasn’t progressing fast enough! (for the doctor’s golf game) Where was the epidural? I don’t like to be uncomfortable! Where was the threat of c-section or surgical intervention? (Your baby is not coming fast enough) Where were the bright lights? Where were the monitors? Where was this? Where was that? I’m scared! Let’s dig a little deeper and see why we may feel this way … We have been indoctrinated to be a medicalized society. Sick? Take this pill. Hurting? Take this pill. Sad? Take this pill. There are OTHER ways. We are afraid to trust our bodies. We are afraid to feel when our feelings are all normal. We are afraid to take our own health and well-being into our own hands. We are not always willing to take the time to eat right, sleep well, figure out what’s bothering us, or walk the extra mile. Let’s change that.
Don’t doctors have to take the Hippocratic oath from late 5th century BC? Let’s consider this quote: “Let thy Food be thy Medicine and thy Medicine be thy Food” – Hippocrates. James Colqhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch, his wife, show us how to take control of our own health and well-being (and share their birth story). I encourage you to learn more about them and their approach to health. It is in our control.
For More Information about health and birthing in the US:
- Why does the US need more midwives and birthing centers?
- Is home birthing right for you?
- “Why Home Birthing Is On The Rise” article by Bonnie Rochman for Time Magazine
- NCHS “Data Brief on Home Births” In The United States 1990-2009
- Ina May Gaskin & the Farm Midwives movie (a Kickstarter project)
- How do I find a certified doula?
- Where can I find information about water birthing?
- Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, & Miracles by Bruce Lipton, Ph.D.
- Listen to Ivan Oransky discuss overmedicalization on TEDMED.
- What’s TEDMED? It’s like TED Talks, but medically based.