Last week, I had one and a half pounds of small cucumbers in my CSA share. That’s a LOT. I held the bag after I weighed it and sighed. There may or may not have been an added eye roll. What will I do with nearly two pounds of cucumbers?? I know! pickles.
I can munch my way through a jar of pickles like a locust in a wheat field.
- 64oz filtered water
- ½C sea salt (or kosher salt)
- ¾C Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar (or for more bite use white vinegar)
- 1.5# pickling cucumbers or Kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped (or 2T freeze dried dill)
- 1t red pepper flakes
- 1t pink peppercorns
- 1t black peppercorns
Directions: Add water to a large stock pot and add the salt, vinegar, garlic, dill, red pepper flakes, and the pink and black peppercorns. Heat on high and stir to dissolve the salt. Boil for 5 minutes, shut the heat off, and allow to cool.
Arrange the cucumber slices in the jar and pour the cooled brine over the top. Cover and refrigerate. If you want to store them, prepare a water bath and seal the jars in the typical canning fashion. Pickles will stay fresh for a month.