This is pretty much the best apple crisp recipe.
That’s all I can say.
Gluten Free Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp
adapted from 2002, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, Ina Garten
- 5 pounds Honey Crisp and Jonagold apples
- grated zest of 1 orange
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2T freshly squeezed orange juice (zest it first)
- 2T freshly squeezed lemon juice (zest it first)
- ½C granulated sugar (I use Organic Turbinado)
- 2t ground cinnamon
- 1 ½C Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- ¾C granulated sugar (I use Organic Turbinado)
- ¾C light brown sugar, packed
- 1C gluten free oatmeal (I use Bob’s Mill)
- 8 oz. of unsalted butter (I use Kerrygold Irish butter)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°.
Peel, core, and slice the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour into the baking dish.
To make the crust, combine the flour, sugars, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
Bake for 1 hour until the top is golden brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.